Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Day 27: Blueberry Banana Coffee Cake

When I first saw this recipe I got a little excited #1 because I am a bit of a coffee addict and #2 because I like cake. Two of my favourite things in one; except that there was no coffee in the actual recipe. The only reason it's called coffee cake is because it goes perfect with coffee- which is good enough for me! I have an early 6am shift at work tomorrow morning so this is perfect to go with my morning coffee!

What you need:
-1 + 3/4 cup wholewheat plain Flour + 1 teaspoon
-5 tablespoons sugar
-4 tablespoons Butter, cold
-1 + 1/2 teaspoons Baking Powder
-1/2 teaspoon baking soda
-1 teaspoon Cinnamon
-1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg
-2 eggs
-1 cup Banana, ripe, mashed
-1 + 1/2 cups Blueberries, fresh or frozen, do not thaw
-1/4 cup Walnuts, chopped

How to make it:
1. Preheat oven to 170 degrees Celsius. Grease an 8-inch square deep-sided baking pan.
2. Combine 3/4 cup of the flour and sugar in a medium bowl. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender or two forks used scissor style until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. I found that this was the hardest step of the recipe, so I just got my hands into the mix (make sure you don't heat the butter up with your hands too much). Set aside 1/2 cup of the mixture for the topping.
3. Add the remaining 1 cup of flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Mix well. Add eggs and banana, mix just until incorporated, careful not to over mix.
4. Toss the blueberries with 1 teaspoon of flour. Stir them in with the walnuts. Pour into prepared pan. Sprinkle reserved topping evenly over top.
5. Bake 40 to 45 minutes. Cool on wire rack.


So delicious. It's perfect to have with your early morning coffee because it's not too sweet and has that whole-wheat kind of taste + blueberries for antioxidants and bananas for fibre. Nice and healthy...plus throw in your coffee and you've got a wonderfully tasty morning pick -me-up. 



1 comment:

Rachel said...

I miss seeing new recipes from you!!! I love your blogging, girl! :)
Love Rach