Saturday, February 5, 2011

Day 17: Coconut Chicken Curry

I really felt like rice tonight for some reason, and what goes better with rice than curry? I've never really made curry before, so I thought i'd make my first one nice and easy. The recipe says that it takes 25minutes to cook, but mine took like 45ish. Next time i'd like to add more ingredients like potato and capsicum because I must admit, it was a little bit plain. 


What you need:
- 315 (1 1/2 cups) of jasmine rice (I used brown rice because it's better for you)
- 1 tbs peanut oil
- 8 chicken thigh cutlets (I used chicken thigh fillets)
- 1 brown onion, cut into wedges
- 1-2tbs red curry paste
- 1 x 400mo coconut milk
- 6 lime leaves
- 1 tbs brown sugar
- 1 tbs fish sauce
- 1 tbs fresh lime juice


How to make it:
1. Cook the rice in a large saucepan of salted, boiling water, following packet directions. 
2. Heat 1/2 oil in a wok over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook, tossing often, for 4-5minutes or until browned all over. Remove and set aside.
3. Add the remaining oil, onion and curry paste to the pan and cook, tossing for 2 minutes or until the onion softens slightly.
4. Add the coconut milk and bring to the boil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and lime leaves. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, uncovered for 20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
5. Stir in the sugar, fish sauce and lime juice. Remove the lime leaves and discard. Divide the steamed rice among serving bowls and top with the curry. Sprinkle with the coriander and serve. 




 My apologies, my photo isn't too good, but I was too hungry to make it look prettier. It tasted great though! The onion wedges were yummy and the chicken was tender and the curry itself wasn't too spicy which is why I liked it I think! 

No comments: