Monday, February 7, 2011

Day 19: Roast Lamb & Herby Potatoes

This has always been on my list of things to cook. Just the thought of eating the roast and potatoes makes my heart warm- roast's are my comfort food, they remind me of home. Apart from the fact that I've always been totally overwhelmed by big chunks of meat, it was quite simple to do. I just went with the kind of recipe i've seen my mum make before- so it's just a guestamation but it worked out pretty good. It smelt amazing!


What you need:
- A Leg of lamb: mine was 1.5kg (remember 1hour cooking time per 1kg)
- 4 cloves of garlic (sliced)
- 1 lemon grated (for the rind) and juiced
- 100ml olive oil
- 2 tbs rosemary (fresh is best, but I used the dried stuff)
- 1 tbs dried oregano (or fresh)
- 3 tsp Paprika
-  5 potatoes (cut into long wedges)


How to do it:
1. Preheat your oven to 180degrees celcius. Using a small knife, cut 1cm slits all over lamb. Stuff each incision with a slice of garlic.  Combine lemon juice, oil, rosemary, fresh or dried oregano, paprika, sea salt and ground black pepper in a small bowl. Place lamb in a roasting pan, pour mixture over then turn lamb to coat evenly. Cover lamb with foil and roast for 1 hour.
2. Meanwhile, place potatoes in a large saucepan of cold water. Bring to the boil then cook over high heat for 4 minutes. Drain. Return potatoes to pan with some more oil, paprika, lemon rind and 2 tsp sea salt. Toss to combine. Set aside.
3. Remove foil from lamb. Add potatoes to pan. Stir to coat in cooking juices then return to oven and cook, uncovered, for a further half hour, turning potatoes occasionally. Remove pan from oven and cover loosely with foil. Stand for 15 minutes.


Well, I hate to brag...but this was one of the best roast i've had in a very long time- it was juicy and soft in the middle and the outside had a nice herby crunch. The Potato wedges were cooked perfectly through but I think I added too much rosemary to them- maybe it would be better without the rosemary on the chips. 



1 comment:

Rachel said...

Okay girlie, so I am using your recipes!!! They're awesome! =D I love cooking... I only cook once or twice a week, so it might take me a while to get through your recipes, but I will give it a shot!