Sunday, February 6, 2011

Day 18: Healthy Apple Walnut Muffins

After a weekend full of eating till my heart's content I thought tonight's recipe should be on the healthy side, so I can start my week off well. I've always been a lover of muffins and baking...but my muffin baking skills usually revolve around a box mix aka I like to cheat when I bake. Not anymore my happy blogging readers. After making these yummy in my tummy muffins I say farewell cardboard box and hello healthy muffins.
I found this recipe online, but as I was mixing everything it was pretty runny and didn't look right, so I added to it and changed a few things so it looked like it should.


Here's what I used:
- 1/4 butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 & 1/3 cups wholewheat flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup peeled and diced apple
- 1/2 cup walnuts (chop them up in tiny chunks)
- 1/2 cup oats


How to Make them:


1. To start with, like any other baking recipe preheat your oven to about 200degrees Celsius. Then grease your muffin tin.
2. Put your butter and brown sugar in a microwave proof bowl and put in the microwave for 45seconds to the butter is melted- then mix the two together.
3. In another bowl, place all your dry ingredients; wholewheat flour, oats, salt, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg. Mix them all up.
4. Add milk, apples, walnuts and butter/sugar mixture to your dry ingredients.
5. Mix all of your ingredients together again.
6. Spoon your batter into the muffin tin spaces- about 3/4 the way full.
7. Cook for 15-20 minutes.
8. Enjoy the sweet smell of apples through your house! 






Well, these little bundles of joy don't look that appetising, but hey, it's what's on the inside that counts right? These muffins are legit- they aren't too sweet, have a nice, crunchy walnuty taste yet are still moist inside from the apples. T-aaasty.  

No comments: