Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Day 14: Grilled Lime and Dill Salmon

So, today I conquered my fear of cooking fish. I'm pretty sure this fish-like-fear came from my childhood...you see my father was a keen fisherman, so the only fish my siblings and I would have tried as kids was the kind that you choke on a bone with every bite- the type with eye balls and scales. It was only about a year ago that I tried my first piece of salmon, and loved it! That's why tonight I decided to cook some tasty salmon and see how it turns out.
I looked around the internet and in a few cook books for a good recipe on how to grill salmon, but non of them tickled my fancy, so I winged it and braved my own creativity- which is why I didn't really measure things out.


Here's what I used:
- 4 fillets of Salmon
- About 3 stems of dill
- 5 tbs butter
- 3 gloves of garlic
- A shake of salt and pepper
- 1/2 lime


Here's what to do: 
1. Don't die from the smell...yes thats the first step. I hate the smell of raw fish.
2. Rinse off the salmon- im not completely sure why, but I read it on a recipe. Then take the skin off, i found the easiest way to do it was to find a really sharp knife and cut the first bit of the skin off, then pull the rest. Cut your salmon up in about 3 pieces per filler
3. Melt your butter in the microwave, but only for a few seconds. Then mince (or finely chop) your garlic, shake in your salt and pepper, rip up your dill and finally squeeze in your lime juice and mix it all up.
4. Use a butter brush to coat all sides of the salmon with your butter mixture.
5. Heat up your grill pan- make sure its nice and hot so your salmon cooks fast. Don't put any butter or oil on the pan, this will make your salmon stick to the pan- put the butter directly on the fish.
6. Place your salmon on the pre-heated pan and allow it to get brown on one side before you turn it over- You will be able to see the inside change colour, thats when to turn it over.



Magic- it seemed too hard to handle when I first started with the cooking process, but after it was all done and I tasted this delicious meal- it made the messiness of it all worth it. It was soft and melted in your mouth. Goes well with rice!

No comments: