Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Day 21: Light Chocolate Mousse

Well, after the dessert from last night, I thought i'd better try something a little easier on the bulge, I've heard mousse is a pretty good low calorie dessert, and was fairly easy to make; so I thought i'd give it a go. I looked up a few recipe's and this one seemed to have been the best. http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/8004/light+chocolate+mousse
So, the first part of the recipe was going great, until I got to the second step; beating the egg whites. But it's not what you're thinking, getting a 'soft peek' was easy, the problem was I only had one egg left in the fridge...and the recipe needed 4. So what did I do? ... I soldiered on. I attempted to make the recipe with one egg- and just take one serving of mousse instead of 6. Splitting everything into a 1/4. Pretty adventurous stuff. Here we go...


This is the original recipe:
What you need (fyi...check before you start cooking- duh!)
Serves 6
  • -1/2 cup boiling water
  • -2 teaspoons powdered gelatine
  • -2 tablespoons cocoa powder
  • -4 eggs, separated
  • -1/3 cup caster sugar

How to do it:
  1. Combine water and gelatine in a jug. Whisk with a fork until gelatine has completely dissolved. Stir in 1 1/2 tablespoons cocoa. Set aside to cool for 10 minutes.
  2. Using an electric mixer, beat eggwhites in a large bowl until soft peaks form. Add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until meringue is thick and glossy. With mixer on high speed, add egg yolks, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
  3. Slowly pour gelatine mixture into egg mixture (make sure mixtures are both at the same temperature before you combine them), beating constantly until well combined. Spoon mixture into 6 serving cups. Refrigerate for 4 hours or until set and chilled. Dust with remaining 2 teaspoons cocoa. Serve.
Tip: When beating egg whites add a small pinch of cream of tartar. This helps to stabilise the egg, producing a light, fluffy mousse.





I'm pretty much stoked at how my mousse turned out. Apart from the little hiccup with the eggs, i managed to make 3 little espresso cup's worth of mousse. I thought by using espresso cups instead of big old tea cups, it could be a bite sized treat without worrying about it weighing you down... it was the perfect amount! Cute and tasty. 

No comments: