Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Day 8: Mum's special yellow rice

Well, on the eve of such a great public holiday- Australia Day, I thought I would post about one of my most favourite BBQ side dishes of my childhood. This rice dish feels so mysterious to me mainly because of it's colour, and now that I know how easy it is to make, i just love it even more!

-1 Tb oil
-1 1/2 cups rice
-3 cups water
-2 tbs chicken stock
-1/2 teaspoon Turmeric
-1 teaspoon of dry coriander leaves
-1 1/2 sweet chilli sauce (the good kind)
-1 cup of frozen veggies (peas, carrots, corns etc)

1. Heat oil in a large saucepan
2. Put rice into oil, stir for 2 minutes, until rice starts to change colour (more white)
3. Mix chicken stock with water, then place mixture in saucepan with rice, stir for 2 more minutes
4. Add your frozen veggies in (they will defrost nicely in the saucepan)
5. Add 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric, coriander and sweet chilli sauce to saucepan and mix well.
6. Leave the lid on for another 2 minutes



All done! Easy Peasy. It's a perfect think to put on the table at your next bbq. I love that my mum just came up with it after trial and error.

No comments: