Saturday, January 29, 2011

Day 11: Gourmet Grilled Cheese

I've always been a fan of the good old grilled cheese sandwich. I was always excited when mum didn't have time to cook a 'proper' dinner'- grilled cheese to the rescue! So today I thought id take the grilled cheese, and make it more fancy. Martha Stewart has some pretty experimental ones on her website- eventually I want to try them all, since they are so easy and quick.
I choice an Apple and Brie grilled cheese, I like apples, so the idea of apples in a sandwich sounds appetising to me, and because I have quite the sweet tooth.


Here's What you need:
Makes 1 sandwich
- 1/2 green apple
- Butter 
- Brie Cheese
- 1 tbsp honey
- A hand full of Rocket
- 2 slices of bread (I used pumpkin 5 seed bread) 


Here's what to do:
1. Generously butter the wrong side of your bread. Don't butter the inside of your bread- it will leave it too oily.
2. Slice up your brie really thin and cover one side of your bread
3. Slice up apples (nice and thin again)
4. Add honey to the top of the apples
5. Place rocket on the top
6. Add another layer of cheese to the top of the rocket (so everything sticks to the bread)
7. Place the other piece of bread on the top
8. Place your sandwich in a heated pan. Avoid squashing the sandwich, otherwise all your ingredients will ooze out. Grill one side for 1-2 minutes, then flip over. 




Yum! I think I put too much Brie in mine. Brie has a strong taste, so try not to get too excited with it! So go for it...experiment with your grilled cheese, you can't really go wrong- cheese and bread is always going to taste good.



No comments: