Thursday, January 20, 2011

Day 3: Burgers

Today I wasn't feeling too good, so when it came to thinking of what to cook, I got lazy. I thought hey...burger's would be easy to make; pretty much just get some meat, throw some salt and pepper in and toss it on the grill! Well...i wasn't as easy as I thought, and the cooking part (to my surprise) is where I actually got it wrong.
I started by looking up a few meat patty recipe's in some of dad's BBQ cook-book's that he's never opened. There are some pretty interesting ones i'd like to give a try in the future. I really wanted to make a  chicken one, but I couldn't find the food processor (which you apparently need for it). I ended up just asking mum for her beef mince patty recipe. 


Here's how I made it:

- 1/2 Kilo Minces beef 
- 2 grated carrots
- 1/2 onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 slices of grain bread (use your grater to break it up)
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 tsp Cumin (mum's secret ingredient)
- 1 tsp salt
-1 tsp pepper



1. Start by chopping your onions up into nice small cubes. Here's where my trouble began; I cut up my onion's too big, so my burger kind of tasted like an onion and carrot patty at times. 
2. Then grate your carrots and while you have the grater out, grate up your 2 slices of bread too. The bread is there for extra flavour and so it all sticks together in the end.
3.Use your garlic press, or man power to cut and press your garlic.
4. Put it all into a nice big bowl; crack an egg inside. Add your cumin, salt and pepper
5. Wash your hands! Mix it all up with your hands.
6. Heat up your pan and put enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan. Heat the oil for a while so it's hot enough to cook your meat all the way through. 
7. Take a hand full of meat and roll it all together, sprinkle a bit of flour over the top so it doesn't stick to the pan. Place in the oil until the outside it a little bit crispy, then flip over. After it's cooked, a good trick is to place it on some paper towel o drain some of the excess oil off.


Add a bun, some cheese, tomato sauce and your done! A good old, slightly healthy burger!


The Verdict:
I will admit, it was quite simple to make. But some how I still messed it up; once I had finished cooking them all and had turned the heat off... I decided to break one open and see how the inside looks. The inside was still quite raw. Fun times- I then had to turn stove on again and re-cook them all. In all fairness, they tasted pretty great. The cumin adds a really good touch to the burger and I would recommend trying it next time you make a burger. But you know what they say; "The burgers are always better at Hungry Jacks". 



No comments: