Friday, January 28, 2011

Day 10: Lemon Chicken

So I can officially say that I feel like a Wok-Master! Who ever knew that Woks could be so much fun. They make everything so easy, and I don't think iv'e ever cooked chicken so juicy. Before I began my wok adventure, I found a conveniently named book in our collection called 'Learning to Wok'. This book was pretty dang helpful.
Three things I learnt about wok-ing:
1. Prepare all your ingredients before starting to cook- cut everything before you turn the wok on because it heats up super fast and cooks everything in a few minutes.
2. Heat your oil on high heat before adding anything- make sure you cook meat on high heat, and cook it in batches (not a lot in the wok at one time)
3. Keep tossing everything! 


Here's what you need: 
-500g chicken thigh fillets, cut into 5cm pieces
-1 tbs soy sauce
  • -1 egg, lightly whisked
  • -35g (1/4 cup) cornflour
  • -80ml (1/3 cup) vegetable oil
  • -70g (1/3 cup) caster sugar
  • -250ml (1 cup) chicken stock
  • -60ml (1/4 cup) fresh lemon juice
  • -1 x 440g pkt udon noodles (Wokka brand) ...I didn't have these, so I just used instant noodles
  • -1 bunch choy sum, ends trimmed, washed, dried...I used Pak Choy instead
  • -1 tbs chopped fresh coriander

How to do it:

1. Combine chicken and soy in a bowl. Set aside for 5 minutes to develop the flavours. Combine egg and 2 tbs of cornflour in a bowl and whisk until smooth. Drain soy sauce from chicken and add eggs and cornflour to chicken. Make sure you coat all the chicken well enough.
2. Heat oil in a wok over high heat (when oil is ready a cube of bread will turn golden brown in 15 seconds). Add half the amount of chicken and cook for 3 minutes, make sure to flip it over to cook on each side. Repeat with remaining chicken, reheating oil between batches.
3. Combine the remaining cornflour, sugar, stock and lemon juice in a small saucepan and stir until smooth. Cook, stirring, over medium heat for 5 minutes or until sauce thickens. It smells good!
4. Steam noodles (or cook your instant noodles) and choy sum (or Pak Choy) in a steamer over a saucepan of simmering water for 4 minutes. I used a microwavable steamer, which was a lot quicker. 
5. Place noodles to serving bowls. Top with chicken and sauce. Sprinkle with coriander.





So now that I know the secret to lemon chicken, I might just have to try something more mysterious next time I go for Chinese. I loved the sweetness and tangy tastes, Im pretty sure rice would go even better with it...worth a try. 

No comments: